Egyptian faience

---------

From: Marian Colman (colmans1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 13 2003 - 02:44:06 PST

I took my ceramic students to the Boston MFA yesterday. We viewed 4
gorgeous Egyptian faience canopic jars. The turquoise color will take
your breath away. Here is the definition of Egyptian faience from
"10,000 Years of Pottery"- a clay body prepared from clay and sand to
which a flux agent has been added Can be molded into small objects or
pots. The surface becomes glossy when fired and, if dusted with copper
oxide, turquoise. Also a term used by the French for tin glazed
earthenware.

---