Linda's "12 step" Watercolor (high school)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 11:53:26 PST

Hi Linda --and all...It isn't that folks "re-invent
the wheel" - It is just that some take time to publish
the ideas. I will be publishing your ideas to
IAD....soon (smile). The "computer gods" were smiling
on me. I was able to open your file for the first
time. (no need for you to resend to anyone)

Here is Linda's Getty post:

Hi Everyone-attached (copied below) is an
"exploration" lesson I do with watercolor techniques.
I have the kids choose an idea or theme, then execute
it the twelve ways given. It becomes a bit quilt-like
and gives the kids an
opportunity to see how various techniques can affect
the same subject. Later I assign them a landscape
using at least 5 of the techniques. We also do some
mixed media work with colored pencils and some tissue
paper, watercolor collage.

EXPERIMENTING WITH WATER MEDIA

Divide your sheet of paper into 12 equal blocks(if
using one sheet) with a light pencil line.
Do one experiment in each block. (This will require 2
half-sheets or one full sheet of
watercolor paper.)

1. Use a watercolor wash to lay down some areas of
color. While it is still wet, go into the
wash with a watercolor or aquasketch pencil.

2. Draw with charcoal. Using clean water and a brush,
go into the charcoal and blend to
make value changes.

3. Use a regular pencil or graphite stick to add lines
to a watercolor wash you have
already laid down.

4. Use bright colors of crayons and/or oil pastels.
Overlap some colors. Paint over and
into your drawing with watercolor wash. Use something
pointed and scrape back into the
waxy surface for another effect.

5. Use Prismacolor and transparent and opaque paint.
The pencil can add detail and
texture. The opaque paint will give heavier coverage
and darker values.

6. Wet the block with clean water. Use acrylic matte
medium that has been diluted to a
50:50 solution. Paint the block with the solution.
Begin layering pieces of tissue paper,
rice paper, etc. Mix some watercolor paint and add a
bit of metallic pigment. Paint over
the layers of paper. Later, you can add oil pastel,
Prismacolor, etc. for lines and shape
definition.

7. Wet the block. Incise your paper with a sharp tool.
Add a watercolor wash.

8. Lay on a layered wash. While still wet, crumple a
piece of plastic wrap and lay it on the
wash. Do NOT disturb until dry.

9. Lay on a layered wash of deep colors. Sprinkle salt
onto the wash. Do NOT disturb
until dry.

10. Lay on a layered wash of deep colors. Sprinkle
rocks or pebbles onto it. Do NOT
disturb until dry.

11. Lay on a layered wash of deep colors. Use a straw
to drop a few drops of alcohol into
it.

12. Paint some deep colors. Use the edge of a credit
card or hard plastic to scrape and
push the paint away.

=====
Judith Decker