Everybody SCREAM (Munch Interdisciplinary unit)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 06:03:16 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Some days you got to "SCREAM" - jump up and down for
joy -- and do some cartwheels too! (silly me).

Dan Cherney sent me this incredible CNN article that
just SCREAMS interdisciplinary.
Why the sky was red in Munch's 'The Scream'
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/12/10/scream.munch.reut/index.html

Science:
Astronomy, volcanoes, weather (I know this is all
middle school curriculum) - Physics for the older kids

Geography:
Norway - Indonesia (island of Krakatoa) -
topographical maps - etc.

Social Studies:
The people of Norway (form 1800's and today) and the
people of Indonesia (World religions/beliefs IS a part
of social studies curriculum - help those teachers do
their jobs. Read your county curriculum guides to be
sure. I know I am right for all of Ohio - Your states
may be different)

Math:
The researchers determined the vantage point of where
Munch must have been standing. I'm too "stupid" today
to figure that out - but your math people might be
intrigued. Tie in distance - physics (there is math in
physics)- there's more but let the math people help.

ART:
Lots and lots and lots you can do....I have too many
ideas to list. We will start with parody.

GOOD NEWS! Shorewood now had The Scream! (phone
1-800-494-3824 today to get your copy -- only $8.00)

Folks - I no longer get the Times - or any on-line
news letter - When you find this kind of stuff that
everyone should know about DO send it to me. I will
jump through the hoops to get it on the site. I have
all sorts of "connections" saved on my computer from
the New York Times. Maybe I should re-subscribe.

Thanks Dan for all the fun your message gave me today.
Keep "gifting" me good stuff.

Judith

Hint: Save the article to file now - do the research
over the summer to make your unit really wonderful!
Many of you like to do the Scream in the Fall (around
Halloween). Check with core to see when their units
fall - it is easier to mesh with them - than to make
them mesh with you (smile).

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department