Re: Slick paper - and some ideas for use - Connie

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 16:39:48 PST

Connie - It sounds like this paper would work
beautifully for Cathy Gaul's technique of mixing a bit
a acrylic gloss medium with watercolor. Cathy used the
pan watercolors. She did this with the glue outline
technique and fish --- The results were wonderful! (I
did save two images from Cathy that I will share on
IAD soon).

I wonder if it would work for making paste papers? You
would have to do some research on techniques - I know
there are instructions online. If any of the list
members who make paste papers see this - please advise
(Leslie Miller, are you reading?).

Sounds like it would work for fingerpainting, too.
Cover your tables with it --- do the finger painting
on it -- and make prints (monoprint) onto another
sheet of painter (lay a clean sheet on top and
transfer the designs).

And I almost hate to say this....but sounds like you
will never need to buy table covers again. This roll
paper will work to protect your tables for years to
come. I had plastic felt back table cloths when I
taught elementary - but just used roll paper most of
the time in middle school. I reused the paper over and
over again (would just roll it up when done - roll it
back out the next day) until it got too torn -- or wet
- to use again. One roll of brown craft paper would
last me a long time.

Sounds like it would be well worth your while to cut
off some and experiment one day after school -- just
goof around and see what works. Gina Grant did some
neat paintings mixing flour in with tempera paint. I
don't know if that would stick - or if it might chip
off when dry. Play with it - and let us know sometime
what worked. You might come up with a good idea to use
a surplus of finger paint paper (I had a ton of that
at my elementary building!).

Another idea would be handmade books.....it would mean
a lot of cutting to size for you. It seams like this
paper might work for markers - Sharpies and permanent
markers if not watercolor markers.

Have fun with your "gift".

Judith

--- Connie <crobbins_brady@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Also, besides trying to cut this paper up for
> picture making, do you have other suggestions for
> elementary age students?

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department