Re: Wayne Thiebaud -Jan

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 05:42:54 PST

Hi Jan, don't mind me I am cc'ing to you just in case
Getty is "down" - Yours was the only post so I am
suspicious...so you may get it twice.

I see you predicament (smile). Wayne Theibaud's
deserts are rich and yummy and never would have been
served on a paper plate (tee-hee). Is there any way
you can continue the lesson with one grade level after
the presentation. Follow through with a more
meaningful project? Maybe your 5th graders (or even
4th as an extension to Pop art)? The cake painting can
- and should take longer that 15 minutes. Are you
going to have pieces of cake for the kiddles to eat?

I want to brag about Gina Grant's yummy desserts:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Teachers/ggrant3.htm
I'm thinking the finished paintings were about 12"
square.

Or how about Pop Art Desserts made in clay as an art
unit followup? See Weezies:
http://www3.sjs.org:8085/classes/lower/art/6thDessertThumbs/index.htm

I have seen some Wayne Thiebaud drawings online that
could be used as motivation - a drawing could be
completed in a shorter amount of time -- then they
could finish painting it in art class. Have them learn
how to draw the plate in a perspective view.
If they finished one drawing, they could draw another
dessert, too.
I'm looking for the drawings now....
These sure look yummy (a painting)!
http://www.tfaoi.com/am/14am/14am288.jpg

From my Getty post last year:
Behind The Scenes With Wayne Thiebaud
http://www.firstrunfeatures.com/vid/thieba.html Artist
Wayne Thiebaud shows
how volume, shape, feeling and movement can transform
a simple line into art. (Get this video to show some
of your students in your class - what ever grade you
select to move on with the lesson).

And here are the rest of the links I found then (I
didn't check to see if they are all still active)

(Biography WWW POP ART
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~toms/PopArt/Biographies/thiebaud.html.iso-8859-1)

Artcyclopedia: Wayne Thiebaud on the Internet:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/thiebaud_wayne.html

Wayne Thiebaud at the Sheldon: Food for Thought
http://sheldon.unl.edu/HTML/ARTIST/Thiebaud_W/SSI.html

http://sheldon.unl.edu/HTML/ARTIST/Thiebaud_W/FFT.html

Wayne Thiebaud etchings (great tie in for plexi-glas
etchings)
http://www.crownpoint.com/artists/thiebaud/ "There's
nothing really that I've ever found in other lines
that is like an etched line-its fidelity, the richness
of it, the density -you just don't get that any other
way."

ArtBurst.com" Wayne Thiebaud (watch out for banner
adds on this site ---but has good images)
http://www.artburst.com/waynethiebaud/
Many other artists are featured on this site - give
some background information too.

Wayne Thiebaud: On Artchive -- gives background
information and links to images in chronological order

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/T/thiebaud.html

Wayne Thiebaud - Singular Impression - Monotype
http://nmaa-ryder.si.edu/collections/exhibits/monotypes/thiebaudbio.html

Wayne Thiebaud drawings -- a must see!
http://artarchives.si.edu/exhibits/thiewayn/thiebaud.htm

http://artarchives.si.edu/exhibits/thiewayn/checklist.htm
see the drawings

Some quality images
http://www.graystone.org/Artists/Thiebaud_Wayne/thiebaud.html

Dry Point Etchings (great tie in with your plexi-glas
engraving units)
http://www.novakart.com/thiebaud.htm

Wayne Thiebaud - article with images
http://artscenecal.com/ArticlesFile/Archive/Articles2003/Articles0103/WThieb

audA.html

There is more out there.....
If images is what you want:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Wayne+Thiebaud

Lesson Plan - K-3
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~orrp/still/Lesson13.htm

Lesson Plan - grade 9-12 (could go for lower grades as
well)
http://lessons.ctaponline.org/~ctosta/

Lesson Plan - middle school (adaptable to other
grades)
http://www.kinderart.com/painting/sweetstuff.shtml

If you are still with me (smile). I liked your
painting on paper plate idea - I thought it was cute.
You just need to decide what your most important
objective will be. You could use Sharpies to go over
the lines - then have kids watercolor them. That would
take as long as doing a complete painting.

I want to know all about this when it is over. I will
add it to Incredible Art Department. I am saving your
original message so you won't need to rewrite any of
it.

Have fun!

Judith

--- "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@Berkeleyprep.org> wrote:
> A few parents and I am doing a one hour presentation
> on Mr. Thiebaud for grades 2-5.
> It will be broken into 3 segments, 20 min long with
> time for moving from one center to the other.
> The 3 centers are art, music, and drama. Usually, in
> the art center we do something along the lines of
> what the artist did (experiential). \

> Right now we are planning to have the students paint
> a slice of cake onto a real paper plate, then
> arranging the class's cakes as a group and taking a
> picture of them.

> Does anybody have suggestions? This sounds and
> feels ok to us but I'm thinking that the cake
> painting may take longer than 15 min. and I'm just
> plain open to some brainstormed ideas.

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department