Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Wayne Thiebaud -Jan

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 05:42:54 PST

Hi Jan, don't mind me I am cc'ing to you just in case
Getty is "down" - Yours was the only post so I am you may get it twice.

I see you predicament (smile). Wayne Theibaud's
deserts are rich and yummy and never would have been
served on a paper plate (tee-hee). Is there any way
you can continue the lesson with one grade level after
the presentation. Follow through with a more
meaningful project? Maybe your 5th graders (or even
4th as an extension to Pop art)? The cake painting can
- and should take longer that 15 minutes. Are you
going to have pieces of cake for the kiddles to eat?

I want to brag about Gina Grant's yummy desserts:
I'm thinking the finished paintings were about 12"

Or how about Pop Art Desserts made in clay as an art
unit followup? See Weezies:

I have seen some Wayne Thiebaud drawings online that
could be used as motivation - a drawing could be
completed in a shorter amount of time -- then they
could finish painting it in art class. Have them learn
how to draw the plate in a perspective view.
If they finished one drawing, they could draw another
dessert, too.
I'm looking for the drawings now....
These sure look yummy (a painting)!

From my Getty post last year:
Behind The Scenes With Wayne Thiebaud Artist
Wayne Thiebaud shows
how volume, shape, feeling and movement can transform
a simple line into art. (Get this video to show some
of your students in your class - what ever grade you
select to move on with the lesson).

And here are the rest of the links I found then (I
didn't check to see if they are all still active)

(Biography WWW POP ART

Artcyclopedia: Wayne Thiebaud on the Internet:

Wayne Thiebaud at the Sheldon: Food for Thought

Wayne Thiebaud etchings (great tie in for plexi-glas
etchings) "There's
nothing really that I've ever found in other lines
that is like an etched line-its fidelity, the richness
of it, the density -you just don't get that any other
way."" Wayne Thiebaud (watch out for banner
adds on this site ---but has good images)
Many other artists are featured on this site - give
some background information too.

Wayne Thiebaud: On Artchive -- gives background
information and links to images in chronological order

Wayne Thiebaud - Singular Impression - Monotype

Wayne Thiebaud drawings -- a must see!
see the drawings

Some quality images

Dry Point Etchings (great tie in with your plexi-glas
engraving units)

Wayne Thiebaud - article with images

There is more out there.....
If images is what you want:

Lesson Plan - K-3

Lesson Plan - grade 9-12 (could go for lower grades as

Lesson Plan - middle school (adaptable to other

If you are still with me (smile). I liked your
painting on paper plate idea - I thought it was cute.
You just need to decide what your most important
objective will be. You could use Sharpies to go over
the lines - then have kids watercolor them. That would
take as long as doing a complete painting.

I want to know all about this when it is over. I will
add it to Incredible Art Department. I am saving your
original message so you won't need to rewrite any of

Have fun!

--- "Hillmer, Jan" <> wrote:
> A few parents and I am doing a one hour presentation
> on Mr. Thiebaud for grades 2-5.
> It will be broken into 3 segments, 20 min long with
> time for moving from one center to the other.
> The 3 centers are art, music, and drama. Usually, in
> the art center we do something along the lines of
> what the artist did (experiential). \

> Right now we are planning to have the students paint
> a slice of cake onto a real paper plate, then
> arranging the class's cakes as a group and taking a
> picture of them.

> Does anybody have suggestions? This sounds and
> feels ok to us but I'm thinking that the cake
> painting may take longer than 15 min. and I'm just
> plain open to some brainstormed ideas.

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Department