lines/value - High school -Weave lesson

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 17:28:15 PST

Fun approach Jackie to the weave drawing! If you would
like to share an image of your student's work - send
it my way (Jdecker@woh.rr.com). Here is the latest
image I have from Ken - a double self portrait. It is
awesome. I don't know if they used two digital images
- but that would work (scroll down):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/kenweave.htm

Scroll down to see the portrait. The secret here to
the "light" lines is again transfering to the good
paper using graphite (or Seral paper) - only light
lines transfer. Of course - this unit is an advanced
project done after students learn the smudge
technigues and so forth.

One year, I wanted to do Ken's weave drawing with my
8th grade heroes unit - but I chickened out and did an
easier project. I'll always wonder if my kiddles could
have done it.

On a side note...A while back someone sent me a link
to grid transfer paper. You can order it already
gridded with graphite on the back. Here is the site:
http://www.paintbygrids.com/transfersheets/
I never posted it because it isn't a product I would
have used. The link is on Art Stores:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/links/artstore.html
I asked the gal who sent it to me to post it but she
never did.

Judith

> Great examples here Ken.
>
> I have used his weave lesson, I called it woven
> composition. I
> approached it as student themselves and then they
> had to write
> about what cartoon character best described them and
> tell why.
> The composition is a cross between them and the
> cartoon (50/50)

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department