Re: Cohorts..now scheduling

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 11:50:53 PST

Hello again Beth,

Work out a way that is doable for your situation. BUT
YES!!! We did all of our exploratory scheduling by
hand (it took hours - but well worth it - we did it
all druing our planning periods. I would rather have
done it after school --- but I was the only one on
that one). There is no way a computer could have done
what we did. We were able to put students together who
could work together -- and were able to keep other
students apart. We were able to give students their
first choice as much as possible (just couldn't
guarantee them which trimester it would be)...So much
went into it that a computer just couldn't do.

I think the guidance counselors at my former school
still do the schedules by hand for the high school
too. I know they used to. With high school - you have
a lot of other things to consider - like AP classes
may only be taught one period - and this class/level
may only be taught that period and so forth. It will
get tricky. Be prepared to spend a LOT of time if you
take this project on.

Best of luck to you... I do like the team teaching
approach. It is worth a try - especially for your
introductory course. You teach the 2-D and the other
teacher do the 3-D in you art fundamentals class.
There are things the students can learn from both
teaching styles.

Judith

=====
Judith Decker