Re: "light" lines/value - High school

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 09:07:54 PST

High School Teachers,

Good point, Jackie. Ken Schwab's lesson is good lesson
to show variety in lines. Look how they disappear in
this example (values make the lines):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/images/kensmudge7.jpg

Then this year, he made the lines more important:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/kenshading.htm
(scroll down)

I like the lesson both ways. Ken does what I did, too.
Practice drawings are all on newsprint - He transfers
using graphite on the back. Light lines are the
result. I simplified that step by using Seral transfer
paper (you can use a sheet over and over again). When
I didn't have enough Seral paper - we made our own by
putting graphite on a sheet of paper (We used
Newsprint- but I learned it on PBS to use tracing
paper. This was used over and aover again, too).

I keep posting these shells/bones because I want
someone to take the nibble and do the Mary Downe
lesson adaptation (smile). Personally, I wouldn't do
the lesson exactly as written - but I like the idea.
http://www.city.richmond.bc.ca/culture-heritage/artgallery/lessons/plan6.htm
I would have loved doing it when I was a kid. I always
chose lessons I would have liked to do. Remember what
it was like to be a kid when you do your lesson
planning. If anyone takes the "bait" - just send me an
image or two for the lesson plan (along with your
school information -- any grade level)

Hmmm.... might even be a neat idea to use Ken's Weave
lesson? Draw a natural object - draw a man made object
- then do the weave drawing combining them?

Judith

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department