Re: Cohorts -Beth

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 08:37:46 PST

Hi Beth,

You can not continue to worry about how your coworkers
grade. The best thing you can do is to include SELF
assessment. You do not need to be "challenging" in
your grades. You need to have clear objectives and
show the students how to meet and exceed them. The
students will know when they have earned the A - the B
- the C. Take a lot of the pressure off yourself. If
you are worried that students won't sign up for your
class....Find ways to make it interesting - make what
you teach so interesting they won't want to miss it.
Make drawing a pre-requisite for ceramics. My ceramics
students had to have drawing skills as well. The had
to draw their projects, shade them etc. After two
years of trying to make printmaking interesting enough
to cover a whole year - I cut it down to one semester.
Made my life a whole lot easier. Is ceramics a
semester course? Is drawing a semester course?

If the ceramics teacher is "giving" out A's to
students who do not earn them - then you need to have
a department meeting. Do not run to your administrator
and complain. Maybe there is a need for a "no fail"
class (non-threatening) for non-art majors? There are
a number of ways that can be apporached through
ceramics - and still be challenging. I'd be happy to
share my ideas with your ceramics teacher.

Hope this help answer your question.

Judith

--- Elizheisey@aol.com wrote:
> What if different teachers in the same high school
> have different standards? How do you all make it
> fair with your cohorts? That is, what if it is a
> whole lot easier to get an A from a ceramics teacher
> than it is from a different person who teaches
> drawing? At out school it affects not only the
> grades themselves but (of course) the numbers that
> sign up for the next year. What can I do to be
> challenging in my grading and yet still draw in
> students?
> Beth

=====
Judith Decker