Perspective Ideas

---------

From: Kara LiCausi (klicausi_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 05:22:38 PST

After all the feedback I got from all of you concerning watercolor pencils, I developed a 2 point perspective project for my 7th graders.
I had them draw the corner of a room...it could be any kind of room. Mostly I got living rooms and kitchens. We used watercolor paper that was cut to 10"x22" to help elongate the room and give the kids plenty of room to add "stuff". I showed them the basics and then let them go. They had to include some sort of table, a light, a rug or tiled floor, a door, window and hanging picture. (They all wound up adding much more allong the way) I also encouraged them to make any type of cabinet or chest that could "open". Next I took an x-acto knife and cut out or cut open all differnt areas of the drawings such as the doors and windows (very time consuming and my hand hurt after cutting from 80 different drawings...but well worth the effort!) and the kids found crazy magazine pictures, pictures from the internet or digital pictures and stuck them behind the windows, cabinets, etc. Next they had to color using the watercolors pencils, regular colored pencils and watercolor paints for the larger areas.
   The project took nearly 3 weeks, including teaching the basics of perspective, but the finished products are really neat!!! We really concentrated on drawing and coloring neatly and using a ruler every inch of the way.
   For three weeks you could only hear the sounds of a ruler and a pencil moving because the kids were concentrating so hard on connecting to their vanishing points.
   I would tel the kids to draw as though a mouse was holding their pencil and that seemed to work.
   They came up with some really cool ideas and added sky lights, doggy doors, laundry shoots, etc. They even had electrical cords, sockets and light switches! I think they really enjoyed having a chance to decorate a room. We kept talking about Trading Spaces and all of those shows. The kids added moldings, chair rails and all sorts of neat furniture.
   I don't have pictures yet(as I am swamped with grading!) but as soon as I get them (possibly after vacation) I will send them to Judy to post on IAD.
   Thanks for all the input you guys gave.
I also will have photos to share of bowls that the 7th graders made. They had to make a typical drape bowl...but them make the bowl become something else...we had bowls become stadiums, umbrellas, sinks, bathtubs, man-eating plants, bird baths, etc. These really came out awesome! The kids are still painting but will be finishing within the week.
Hope these ideas help to give back a little of all that you have given me in the past two years!
Kara in Northport

--
Kara LiCausi
Northport Middle School