"light" lines (was, lousy coloring skills?!)

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 18:16:36 PST

Marvin Bartel wrote:

> 1. Ask them to figure out the drawing in very light pencil line
<snip>

I had no idea this topic was going to garner so many responses! Thanks,
though, and I hope they've been as interesting to y'all as they have
been to me.

Marvin's response brings me to another question: HOW do you get them to
draw lightly?! I demo and demo and demo how to draw light guidelines by
dragging the pencil alongside the ruler, allowing it to just skim the
paper. I demo and demo and demo how to hold the pencil farther back
along the barrel when drawing the contours for something that will be
shaded in or (badly) colored ;) later on. No dice...they still clutch
those pencils tightly and press down with all their might, rendering a
big fat pencil line that's impossible to hide or cover up. This is
throughout all the grades (5-7).

Maggie

---