Re: Egyptian paste Jan

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 06:21:41 PST

My sixth graders made little Ushabtis (small mummy
shaped forms) - guardian figures to serve them in
their daily life (like their Ushabti was supposed to
wash the dishes - or do their homework - all in fun -
My Ushabit was supposed to grade papers).
They made small ceramic sargaphagus for the Ushabtis -
but you could make cardboard boxes (maybe paper mache
them....or even better - gold foil tooling boxes (you
cover a cardboard boxes with the tooling foil ---easy
to do).

Another idea would be scarab jewley. Maybe combine
with tooling foil. Tooling foil gold collars with
scarabs glued as center of interest.

Small little animals from Ancient Egypt - tie in with
science - Remember Wilbur the hippo? (I remember
seeing a site with animals from Egypt) - Also tie in
meaning/symbolism of the animals. Maybe make some kind
of pendant - then wallpaper triangle beads - include
some tooled foil danglies. (You need a bead tree to
fire Egyptian paste beads) You could add some pny bead
- or other kind of store bought beads. String up on
that black satin cord.

If you are interested in either of these ideas - let
me know and I'll brainstorm more for you -- AND
provide links. (Smile - you know where to find me if
you want more Jdecker@woh.rr.com) I think you get the
idea that small is best with Egyptian paste. It is
kind of hard to work with - a bit stiff - but very
doable with kids. I seem to remember something about
drying it too-- maybe slowly? - for best firing color.

Judith

--- "Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@Berkeleyprep.org> wrote:
> My 5th grade students are studying Egypt right now,
> and I have some Egyptian paste, which, I believe, is
> a faience (?)
>

> Any ideas or suggestions for the use of this?
>
> Jan

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department