Re: glazing the storytellers

---------

From: marcia lavery (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 15:25:18 PST

Thanks for your ideas about organizing the glazing process. We are glazing today and I was just thinking to myself, "There has GOT to be a more organized way to do this." Your idea sounds like it would work perfectly for my room! Thanks!

lindwood@webtv.net wrote:For this assignment (storytellers), we used underglazes. Underglazes
are good when you want to paint patterns that stay put. In case you
don't know, painted and fired on underglazes look like paint, no gloss.
But once fired on they won't wash off. Look at Adrienne's dragon, the
way she painted the scales with a fine bluel line. If you had done that
with glaze, the colors would have fused together and they would not have
stayed crisp as they do with underglaze. To make them shiny, they
require another firing. I dip them in clear glaze myself and refire
them to make them shiny. It's an extra step that some people might not
care to take. Layering colors works well with underglazes. One layer
of underglaze is too thin to cover opaquely, but if you layer another
coat of a different color on top of the first color, they blend together
as a texture. So you might get a nice yellow green textured color by
layering green/yellow/green. Or if you want it to be more yellow, do
green, green, yellow as your three coat total. If you want to polka dot
or zig zag or pattern over the top of the three coats, you just paint on
top and the color stays there without dripping or running. For young
kids that's a plus when it comes to eyes, etc. Black eyes dripping down
a face with glazes is pretty ugly, isn't it? I buy Amaco underglaze
sets. I buy set 1,2 and 3. I have a fairly large tub or cardboard box
on 3 tables. One box holds the yellow, red, orange, pink, peach colors.
One box holds the green, blue green, blue, and purple colors. One box
holds the neutrals. Kids must move from table to table with their work,
depending on what color they want to use. No moving red to the green
table, etc. WHen they are finished with a color, they are to screw the
lid back on and put it back in the box. I keep a color chart at each
table of the colors in that box. Hope this helps.

Linda Woods