Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: allowing to fail, but grading work

From: Jon Hartman (Jon.Hartman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 14:40:01 PST

I think that students at the high school level CAN fail. I have some
students that don't meet the requirements that where given to them. I
don't think that if a work is not completed that an A should be
rewarded. I feel that is tells the students that they don't have to
finish something. THat is not a good picture to paint in my class. It
is really hard to justify why one student gets and A and didn't complete
any work and another gets the same amount done with less effort...
I don't think that it is fair to grade on patential of a student. YOu
have to grade the final product....completed.

Jonathan Hartman
Dassel-Cokato High School
Art Teacher
(320) 286-4100 ext.1832

>>> 12/08/03 06:40AM >>>
I always thought failure was the greatest teacher - the process is
important than the product in my room, but they have to be able to
what they learned, and what they would do differently, in the written

I had a jewelry class in college and at the end of the semester I had a
of attempts, and I could use the pieces as a timeline of my progress
-and I
think it showed a lot of brainstorming, problem solving etc.... I was
worried because I didn't have the required finished pieces - I am sure
had specifics to finish to show mastery of techniques - but they were
algorithmic (recipe) - I got an A - without one finished piece, but I
probably learned more that semester -