RE: allowing to fail, but grading work

---------

From: Jon Hartman (Jon.Hartman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 14:40:01 PST

I think that students at the high school level CAN fail. I have some
students that don't meet the requirements that where given to them. I
don't think that if a work is not completed that an A should be
rewarded. I feel that is tells the students that they don't have to
finish something. THat is not a good picture to paint in my class. It
is really hard to justify why one student gets and A and didn't complete
any work and another gets the same amount done with less effort...
I don't think that it is fair to grade on patential of a student. YOu
have to grade the final product....completed.

Jonathan Hartman
Dassel-Cokato High School
Art Teacher
(320) 286-4100 ext.1832

>>> ESears@Anchorage.k12.ky.us 12/08/03 06:40AM >>>
I always thought failure was the greatest teacher - the process is
more
important than the product in my room, but they have to be able to
identify
what they learned, and what they would do differently, in the written
reflection.

I had a jewelry class in college and at the end of the semester I had a
lot
of attempts, and I could use the pieces as a timeline of my progress
-and I
think it showed a lot of brainstorming, problem solving etc.... I was
really
worried because I didn't have the required finished pieces - I am sure
we
had specifics to finish to show mastery of techniques - but they were
pretty
algorithmic (recipe) - I got an A - without one finished piece, but I
probably learned more that semester -

Ellen

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu