Re: Potters wheel advice needed

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 06:36:47 PST

Lorene,
When it comes to a potters wheel it is very satisfying to work with
equipment that does not limit your abilities and growth. I have used
a Brent CXC since 1970 and have had no problems with it, except for
the sensitivity and soft touch of the speed control (I fixed it - see
PPS note below). In the college studio and production shops where
they get very heavy use and abuse, some of them need to have the main
bearing replaced after 10 or 20 years. The new Brents are quieter
and are reversible so I put Brent's new speed controller on my old
wheel and it is now the same as a new one. Old ones growl a bit.
Otherwise there are essentially no changes. This was Brent's best
model and now is their second best model.

If purchasing a new wheel now I would certainly consider the Brent
CXC. I have not tried the Shimpo VL-Whisper, but a ClayArt member
gives it an excellent review. Quiet is nice. The splash pan may be
an extra cost option on the Brent, so I would ask that the price
include splash pan and delivery costs when shopping. Ceramics
Monthly ads and the Internet search engine are good places to shop
for them. Prices can vary up to $200 on an item this large, so I like
to get three prices from dealers who have them available for
immediate shipping.

PS When you get the new wheel, put "learning to throw" in Google.
It will take you to my web site with many helpful ways to improve
your skills and that of your students. Let me know if you have any
questions.
PPS This page shows a speed limit I added to my potters wheel to
avoid throwing large pieces off the wheel.,
http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/CHints.htm.

studio phone: 574-533-0171
http://www.bartelart.com
"You can't never know how to do it before you never did it before."
... a kindergarten boy working with clay for the first time.

---