RE: allowing to fail, but grading work

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 04:40:18 PST

I always thought failure was the greatest teacher - the process is more
important than the product in my room, but they have to be able to identify
what they learned, and what they would do differently, in the written
reflection.

I had a jewelry class in college and at the end of the semester I had a lot
of attempts, and I could use the pieces as a timeline of my progress -and I
think it showed a lot of brainstorming, problem solving etc.... I was really
worried because I didn't have the required finished pieces - I am sure we
had specifics to finish to show mastery of techniques - but they were pretty
algorithmic (recipe) - I got an A - without one finished piece, but I
probably learned more that semester -

Ellen

---