Point-type grading procedure/self-assessment

---------

From: Ian (jamian_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 00:08:12 PST

As a new art teacher I have developed a way of grading the children I work with. I utilize a point scale of 15 max points. The students are graded on 1. craftmanship, 2. following directions, and 3. attitude toward thier art. They also are given a chance to rate themselves on these three things and discuss with me. (Max class size is 12 due to alternative ed situation) I came up with this because I dont beleive any student should get below a "C"... unless they refuse to do their work or dont finish it due to discipline problems. Do you all think this is an appropriate way to grade from 5-12th grades? The 1-4th graders also get graded but I really havent pursued the "self" grading with the younger ones.

---