coloring - hs perspective

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 16:53:18 PST

for my beginning art 1 class, i intentionally start out with all black and white projects - the entire first nine weeks. i emphasize drawing skills and really stress creating a range of value with pencil and ink work. to me this makes a lot of sense curriculum and skill-building wise, but i also get mileage from dramatizing the fact that we're "working up to" using color, so that students are really gung-ho to have "earned" the right to go into colored media. then we start with colored pencil, since i think its the easiest media to use to demonstrate good coloring skills. i do a practice exercise with my students - they watch me demo and work along - for good coloring: smooth, even, gradually built up layers of color. we do a lot of practice with directional lines and coloring, creating value with one color, and then mixing colors. i make my students do a monochromatic rainbow piece (will post those next on my photo site at yahoo) and for the rainbow they can use only
 primaries - the rest must be made by blending. i also make them do a project where each major area of solid color has to be faded according to light source using light and dark analagous colors and the complement of the main color (this year it was the words and picture project - will put those up at the yahoo site, too, prob. over break). i show my own examples of good and bad coloring, and talk about how bad coloring just screams "lazy! i don't care about my work!". i really belabor the coloring technique stuff and talk about it nearly every day but also show them lots of fantastic work by other artists, past students and pros. they do complain about how i go on and about the exercises they have to complete satisfactorily before they can color their project, but i have to say i think it pays off because their final work is usually pretty good and they seem to put a lot of time and effort into doing it well. they act like they're pleased with themselves when we're finished,
 too!

:D wendy free