Re: Maggie - coloring skills - lesson ideas

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 10:57:34 PST

I understand the difference between these yummy colors and what my
students are doing. Linda's assignments are using the oil pastels in a
very painterly manner--layering, blending, allowing the strokes to show.
   And of course, allowing the colored papers underneath to show adds
depth and richness. These assignments are essentially teaching painting
techniques. I've taught similar things with great results--but I was
_teaching_ the techniques like a painting lesson. And I do understand
how the painterly effects add a dynamic and expressive quality to the work.

What was concerning me about my students' current work is that they were
drawing Egyptian-style illustrations on white paper, then coloring them
in a sloppy manner--that's just plain bad craftsmanship, in my opinion.
It hadn't occurred to me that they would need further instruction in
filling in the shapes they drew with the colored pencils. Chalk it up
to being a former HS teacher who assumed too much! Susan's idea with
the watercolor pencils was great; just have to wait for next year's
budget. Meanwhile, I've already started planning "coloring lessons" to
show the students what I expect as far as craftsmanship.

Thanks for all the great ideas and reassurances that I'm not alone in
facing this!

Maggie

Judy Decker wrote:
> --- lindwood@webtv.net wrote:
>
>>I use oil pastels and colored pencils on black
>>paper. I love the way
>>they look on black paper.

> .... I want to point out
> Linda's projects so you can see what she is talking
> about. See Mixed Breed animals:
> http://www3.sjs.org:8085/classes/lower/art/5thMixedBreedAnimalThumbs/index.htm

> Check out these pastel drawings - See how rich they
> look with not-so-perfect coloring:
> http://www3.sjs.org:8085/classes/lower/art/3rdStillLifeThumbs/index.htm

---