RE: curriculum writing -Jackie

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 09:53:54 PST

Jackie,

I like Leslie'a advice. Patty Knott would tell you the
same (and she is the Curriculum Queen in my book). Do
not make it too specific. Do not say at certain grade
levels you will teach this artist or that project.
Keep it broad and general. The curriculum should allow
for some flexibility. Just about any artist can be
taught at some level at just about any grade level. Do
not make it too specific. I liked to pick my own
artists to teach - and picked based on the resources I
collected (and on the core curriculum -- and on
character). You may have staff who have collected
their own resources too and would be very upset if all
the sudden they can not use them. I fought hard to
keep this from happening in my district. So what if
they learn about Rousseau in elementary and again in
middle school (I added Haitian art in the mix)? So
what if they have Van Gogh one year and revisit him
another? And Picasso? There are things you can do at
all grade levels. I also picked artists based on
character traits I admired (I never made my kids learn
too much about Warhol - we just liked what he did with
color. I picked other artists for character). Plan a
curriculum that focuses on BIG IDEAS. I think I still
have a file from Patty I can share. Yep - it is still
there:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/themes.htm

The art curriculum should mesh with the core
curriculum when possible. We have been saying for
years that Visual art promotes learning in all core
subjects. Design an art curriculum that proves it
true. Best of luck to you.

Judith

=====
Judith Decker