Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Maggie - coloring skills - lesson ideas

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 08:31:45 PST

--- wrote:
> I use oil pastels and colored pencils on black
> paper. I love the way
> they look on black paper.

I answered Maggie off list.... I want to point out
Linda's projects so you can see what she is talking
about. See Mixed Breed animals:
Lesson plan on IDA:
This would be a great lesson for 5th or 6th grade.
Sixth grade learn about middle ages in social studies
- bring in Beastiery and Gargoyles.

Check out these pastel drawings - See how rich they
look with not-so-perfect coloring:

My favorite!

Linda... I may just have to add these to IAD, too.

Another great project to teach coloring skills is
Cubism. I have done it with grades 3 thru 7. See Bunki
Kramer's Cubism with Construction paper crayons:
My lessons used colored pencils - but the technique is
basically the same.

Here is another Bunki winner- Jim Dine Hearts:
 (Maggie - guess which heart is my favorite)

I have lots of Jim Dine links to help with this unit:

Maggie - here is another lesson I used that was
successful. Wish I had some of the better examples.
The Hieroglyphics don't show up in this image. The
best ones were the first year I did them - but I
didn't have a digital camera then. Hmmm, I see I never
added the other lesson using watercolor pencils and

My kids liked using the special crayons - and special
pencils (like the metallic ones and watercolor
pencils). Oh, Maggie, the metallic oil pastels were a
big hit on the landscape collage I told you about.

Hope this helps.

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Department