Re: lousy coloring skills?!

---------

From: jmw (wellj44_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 07:57:43 PST

Nnaell@aol.com wrote:

>This parent was upset because the teacher had marked
>her down on "coloring in the lines". The parent could not understand why the teacher did this. The student had had artwork in art contests and loved art,

 Re the quote above -- Perhaps the "art contests" did not set such a
high priority on staying within the lines, but valued personal
expression, imagination, and unique point of view instead. Different
situations have different criteria, especially in the visual arts.
 Motor skills may be at the top of the lists sometimes and sometimes not.

And to Maggie re the comment about the art teacher from Japan --- Please
share any insights you receive with us. In fact, I wish she would
participate at this forum for a different perspective. J.

---