lousy coloring skills?!

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 18:33:19 PST

Hi, all,

As you know, I've been teaching 5th-8th graders this year after 12 years
in HS. At this point, I've learned a lot about how NOT to teach art!

One of the things that has amazed me is how poorly the students color
with colored pencils, crayons, and oil pastels. They just scribble the
color on in different directions, using long strokes which make the
color streaky, making the colors look pastel, not pressing down to get a
richer color without all the "holes" of white paper showing through.
And, *gasp*, they go outside the lines. They are often resistant to my
demos showing how to fill in their shapes with solid color.

Is this a developmental thing, a lack of previous instruction, a lack of
motivation, or what? Do you elem. teachers TEACH them how to color?
I'm thinking for next quarter showing them two identical drawings
(mine), one colored my way and the other in their usual style, and
seeing if they actually prefer what to me is "messy" coloring.

Maggie

---