Contour hands via technology (elementary)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 09:18:04 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Art Education list is looking for lessons using
technology for elementary students. Jan Hillmer shared
this one called "Warhol Hands". I'll eventually put it
on Incredible Art Department.

In Paint on the computer,
1. One hand was drawn using pencil tool
2. Lasso the hand (dotted line icon) and drag to upper
left.
3. copy, paste, rotate by angle 90 degrees in upper
right corner
4. Repeat for each of the 4 corners.
5. Color is optional

Here is my revision.

6. Divide image into four equal sections using line
tool. Make a bold line. If your program does not have
a line tool - hold the shift key down to make a
straight line. Make sure hand and/or wrist lines go
off the edge - draw in lines if necessary. Stop and
start line if it crosses part of hand(some of Jan's
students' hands are overlapping)

7. Flood fill each background (negative space) section
a bold color. Correct any broken lines on hand if
color goes into hand.

8. Flood fill hands (positive space) a contrasting
color. (Mine are all complementary actually split
complementary - See Andy Warhol's self portraits in
complementary colors)

9. Change dividing line to white if desired.

I used one of the student drawings for this
demonstration and will eventually work through it all
with my own drawing.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/hands.jpg

I have added the image to Jan's Power Point.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/hands.ppt

These drawings were done by fourth graders. Jan's
Power Point will not remain on the site for long....it
is just here now to give you the idea. Some of the
images will be put on the lesson plan.

Let me know if you try this lesson and how it works
for you. Share an image for the lesson, if you want.

Post any art/technology lessons you have done with
elementary. I'll forward them to all lists. I have
another one from Jan to get on the site and will post
that soon (I already sent it to the Art Education list
member).

Have a great weekend!

Judith

=====