Watercolor controll

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 07:02:52 PST

I found that having students produce value scales and differing textures
using boxes on paper was rather meaningless when it came to applying them
on their own paintings. So as much as I hated to do so, this year we are
doing the same values and techniques, but using already drawn templates. I
do two: one, a "normal" one-point landscape (wet-on-wet sky with blotted
clouds; graded wash hills; graded wash meadow; sgraffitto and dry brush
meadow grasses; salted road; trees made from complimentary grays; glazed
shadows) and the second, interiors of cubes from one-point, using glazes.
This is for a seventh grade class level. After these practices, they must
paint their own work using at least three techniques.

I would also consider having them paint large areas of techniques and
assembling them a la Matisse in a collage fashion; having them do
wet-on-wet snowscapes (especially in Maine!) followed with dry glazed trees.

I also like the idea of doing a graded wash background and calligraphed
names (Ken's illuminated letters sparked that idea, which I haven't done
yet, but will).

Hope this helps. Go throw a snowball for me here in the muddy southeast!

>After doing explorations with water color
>what do you all do to provide problems that allow them to explore and
>control water color? I have the boxes,>
>

>--->
Maggie Tucker

arttucker@earthlink.net