Re: Textured Paint Advice

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 08:23:39 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
>From: Jillart1@aol.com
> We just finished building three dimensional cardboard sculptures (my
> fifth grade students). We want to finish them with a textured paint so
> thaey look as though they're made of stone. I tried adding sand to tempera
> paint and painted a demo piece. It's cracking slightly in places, but my
> bigger concern is that as it's handled, the sand seems to be rubbing off.
> Can I seal them with something or use something else entirely?
> Jill in Colorado

How about something CHEAP? Have the kids slap on some spackle with putty
knives. Gives great texture and you can spray paint over it or use tempera
wash. Heavier tempera might crack, I think. Truly not my idea. We did
something similar at a NAEA convention workshop in Chicago several years
ago. Toodles....Bunki

---