Art Parody Lesson Plan (middle - high)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 06:39:58 PST

Dear Art Educators,

(Randy and all) Another good idea for a beginning
painting class would be Tina Grimes Art Parody Lesson:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/tina-parody.htm

Lesson is linked from middle school and high school.
I'll eventually add some links to this - but wanted to
get it shared as soon as possible. Thanks, Tina for
sharing!

This lesson can also be used with elementary grades.
I will eventually add some links to this lesson - but
wanted to get it shared as soon as possible. If anyone
else does an art parody lesson and would like to share
images, I'll add them to this plan.

You can vary the lesson by letting the students choose
their own work to parody. My most successful art
parody with 8th grade was my 3-D shadow box unit. It
was a LOT of work so I only did it one year. I got
some great works from the students (sorry no digital
images and my regular photos didn't turn out). My
example is on my site:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/images/venus.jpg
Students added real objects, too. Mine has a real
towel, hairbrush and cosmetics/perfume bottles. Wood
is added to window. Wall paper background is from my
bathroom. This is supposed to be a self portrait
(doesn't look like me though). It was a tough lesson
for 8th graders. We got through it. I got the idea
from an artist I saw at Ann Arbor the summer before
(he had done a Mona Lisa 3-D painting). I had a set of
Renaissance parody images from a book another teacher
loaned me.

My mixed media parody lesson:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/8renpaint.htm
The examples shown aren't the best at parody. Some
were quite humorous. Others were done as
"advertisements".

Judith

=====
Judith Decker