Value Study Painting - Middle school - Art 1

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 05:18:39 PST

Dear Art Educators,

(Attention Randy M.) Painting and drawing skills was a
recent topic on ArtsEducators list. Sarah Wegenast has
found a way to get the composition level (drawing
skill level) she wants. Here main objective for her
monochromatic painting is the skill in mixing values
and painting skills....So students paint directly on
top of a grey scale photograph (matching the values).
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/monochrom.htm
This lesson is linked from high school and middle
school both.

Those of you who are frustrated with the lack of
drawing skills in your students might want to think
about this as an alternative. I know I would have
wanted to draw the composition myself (so allow that
too - I added some notes at the bottom of Sarah's
lesson).

Sarah also shared her handout for the cut paper
portrait. That is linked to the lesson plan:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/cut-portrait.htm
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/brenda-portrait.htm

If anyone else has some tricks to share for
composition I will get your ideas out to the groups.

Judith

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department