RE: Stress Relief for Students/Teachers

---------

From: Freeland, Sue (freelas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 04:55:53 PST

Lauren,
When I taught middle school they would come in all wound up after lunch. This was right after recess. I would have them do some deep breathing exercises similar to the lamaze routine used in labor. With closed eyes and palms up on the desk in front of them, they would take three deep cleansing breaths, in through the nose ...out through the mouth...
Then I would speak very quietly and slowly and tell them to imagine that they are somewhere they would rather be than school, somewhere peaceful, maybe at the beach, listening to the sounds of the waves and the seagulls, feeling the warm sun on their face, nowhere to go...just relaxing...
I let them drift this way for a few moments then ask them to take three more deep cleansing breaths...then we begin talking about the lesson.

At first there are some giggles, then I was surprised that near the end of the school year students were asking to lead the class in this exercise when needed.

I was surprised at how well it worked...I do it myself sometimes...probably too often, but why do we have so much stress anyway? My cjiropractor would like to know this too?
:)
Hope this helps a few of you out there, have a wonderful, safe hoiday season...we're due for 12-16 inches of snow this weekend...oh boy!!!
Sue