thanks for the painting ideas

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 02:47:40 PST

thank- you for the replies to my question. I am compiling an out line of
all the ideas. I had to laugh because I had glue gunned still lifes down 5
years ago. I used to start off all painting with just black-gray and white.
I have plenty of ideas, just students with very few skills.
what has happened in our district has been painting has been eliminated due
to either behavior issues or cost. So I see students who perceive their
best effort ( which is 3-5th grade developmentally) as worthy of at least a
B. they aren't getting the B, but earning the F or F+.
The short version of what I am doing now:
1-3 are done with tempera paint because they are learning how to clean the
brushes
1.Color labs ( three sheets that review or introduce color wheel, review
gradations and introduce hue intensity and value the three properties of
color
2. GradationWord - a simple exercise where they take 3-4 hollow letters
and create gradations in each letter. This is very middle school in my
opinion, but I feel they need it.
3. Monochromatic- again middle school, but they haven't done it. they could
choose subject matter this year. Next year it is going to be a landscape
only.
4. Switch to acrylic simple subject matter: Four different color schemes. I
demonstrate gloss medium, matte medium and modeling Paste ( if budget wise
I have them) Using a still life of a view finder we use the same subject
but create warm ,cool,complementary and free choice color scheme
5. Still acrylic, We start guessing the paper. The paper has to be taped
down to a thin board or card board to keep it flat. Still using acrylic
and it is a color matching/duplication. We may create a photo collage
first or simply use a color filled landscape for this one.
6. Intro to watercolor. We have the trays/boxes. Using cheap non watercolor
paper first we do samplers of various effects wash graded wash wet on wet
dry brush sponges, salt on wet wash,saran wrap squished on it blowing with
straws.
7. And I have never gotten much further than this.... but I will get back
to you.

---