Re: Fingerpainting

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 17:09:01 PST

When I was in college a lady from Hallmark Greeting Cards came and spoke.
She brought with her some professional fingerpaintings. They were absolutely
amazing! She told us that origionally finger paints were for only the very
experienced artists. They would have been amazing using a brush, but being
shown how to hold the hand specific ways in order to achieve certain strokes
was mind boggling. I had always planned on researching, but never got around
to it. Has anyone ever done a search on the history? I would really like to
know more! :-)
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> Now this is coming from a high school teacher......One of the things
> that I hate the most is when high school students take a painting class
> and the first thing that they want to do is to finger paint. I know
> that the feeling of the paint around your fingers is neat, but it sticks
> with them and they think it is ok for them to still do it. I have
> always wondered is there is another way to do "finger painting" . Is
> there a different method that could be done? I know that when I student
> taught elementary school I placed small sponges in clothspins. This
> worked well. They could control where the paint was going to go. I
> just know from experience that this is really hard to get take that
> concept out of their mind and get them to focus on painting with
> brushes. Maybe I am just crazy......What do others think?

---