Re: "vertical" and "horizontal" (language)

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 15:30:57 PST

Good point, Woody. Let me rethink this. I've been using these terms, such as landscape along with horizontal (and reward the student use of the more correct word) I like the idea of acknowledging that often people don't use the same words when they mean the same thing. Some languages even have more words for a particular thing then others, and do you think Inuit school teachers teach only one word for 'snow' when there are something like dozens of various words available? And I use this line of thought in a lot of other cases, too. I think that whatever helps people learn to better understand others is good. But then on the other hand, if we insist on students using the 'correct' words, then more people will learn those words and therefore be better equipped to communicate. I don't know.
Good evening, (bye, see ya later), Mark

Woody Duncan <wduncan@kc.rr.com> wrote:
........................ It bothers me to see
our vocabulary dumbed down so often of late. I never use portrait
or landscape except to talk about types of paintings. I can't imagine
using hot-dog or hamburger except in discussing fast food.