Re: "vertical" and "horizontal"

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 14:40:17 PST

I missed some of this discussion, so I may be jumping in late here.
My students often questioned why I used such big words with
them. I explained that through exposure would be the only way they
would learn to use these words correctly. It bothers me to see
our vocabulary dumbed down so often of late. I never use portrait
or landscape except to talk about types of paintings. I can't imagine
using hot-dog or hamburger except in discussing fast food. I've been
in meetings with adult educators who would ask people to line up in
ABC order. Have we given up on alphabetical and numerical as common
terms as well. And we wonder why our students don't do well on
standardized test ?
                                        Just My Two Cents Worth, Woody in KC

"Hillmer, Jan" wrote:

> I like the idea of 'Landscape' and 'portrait'. I'll be adding that to our vocab in this classroom.
> Thanks for sharing the good tip!
> jan

28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons

My newest paintings from Taos: