Re: on teaching painting

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 13:51:37 PST

Learning to paint teaches us to see in new ways. As a high school
painting teacher, I projected student paintings with an opaque
projector. Since the paintings were much larger than the projector,
it forced us to select areas in the paintings. This encouraged
choice making. Different parts of their paintings needed to be
assessed to select a best portion to project.

Projecting a 5 inch portion of a painting on a 5 foot screen in a
dark room is a way to add drama and get some psychic distance from
the original. Enlarging the work brings out the painterly qualities
(or lack thereof) as well.

If I were teaching painting now, I might ask the students to use a
digital camera and take their best three shots of each painting by
selecting different portions of the work. These would be projected
with the digital projector for analysis and discussion.

Marvin Bartel
bartelart.com

---