Working with SBH (Severe Behavior Handicapped)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 13:31:37 PST

Dear Art Educators,

How to work with severe behavior problems comes up
from time to time on the list. We just had a recent
thread on Sheri's question. I only had one SBH student
in my class at a time and never had a probelm with
them. I don't have the form my school used to assess
the student's behavior, but got a copy of the form
Michael Gerrish's school uses (Michael is now at
Bridge Learning Academy)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/bridge.htm
Some New Jersey guidelines for visual arts shown at
the bottom.
Get ideas on how to design your own form - but do not
copy it. The form from Bridge Academy is copyrighted.
I will only leave the form on IAD for a few days.

Michael Gerrish's Web site:
http://www.whyart.com

Michael's Email address:
mrg@whyart.com

Here are some forms I have used over the years (you
are welcome to use them anyway you wish).
This was the most recent one I designed for students
in my class on behavior contracts (didn't use with all
students):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/behav-wk.htm
Students on contracts kept track of their behavior
every week.

This is a form I adapted from Teach-nology that I used
at the end of a unit (I didn't use it with every
lesson - students filled it out):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Behavior.htm

This is a form I modeled after the one used for SBH at
my school. I didn't use it with every child (just
those on behavior contract)...again it was self
assessment - Weekly form above replaced this one.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/assessment.htm

Students were put on Behavior Contracts after three
minor misconducts - or if they did not return the
writing assignment signed:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/contract.htm

Linda Wood's Behavior Quiz is good for younger
students:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/bquiz.htm

Hope these come in handy for you. Thanks Michael for
always coming through for us.

Judith

=====
Judith Decker