Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Working with SBH (Severe Behavior Handicapped)

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 13:31:37 PST

Dear Art Educators,

How to work with severe behavior problems comes up
from time to time on the list. We just had a recent
thread on Sheri's question. I only had one SBH student
in my class at a time and never had a probelm with
them. I don't have the form my school used to assess
the student's behavior, but got a copy of the form
Michael Gerrish's school uses (Michael is now at
Bridge Learning Academy)
Some New Jersey guidelines for visual arts shown at
the bottom.
Get ideas on how to design your own form - but do not
copy it. The form from Bridge Academy is copyrighted.
I will only leave the form on IAD for a few days.

Michael Gerrish's Web site:

Michael's Email address:

Here are some forms I have used over the years (you
are welcome to use them anyway you wish).
This was the most recent one I designed for students
in my class on behavior contracts (didn't use with all
Students on contracts kept track of their behavior
every week.

This is a form I adapted from Teach-nology that I used
at the end of a unit (I didn't use it with every
lesson - students filled it out):

This is a form I modeled after the one used for SBH at
my school. I didn't use it with every child (just
those on behavior contract)...again it was self
assessment - Weekly form above replaced this one.

Students were put on Behavior Contracts after three
minor misconducts - or if they did not return the
writing assignment signed:

Linda Wood's Behavior Quiz is good for younger

Hope these come in handy for you. Thanks Michael for
always coming through for us.

Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Department