RE:"vertical" and "horizontal"

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 13:12:51 PST

I confess that I use the dreaded "hotdog" and "hamburger" terms. I also use "landscape" and "portrait" (as listed on the printer card on most computers) to describe format orientation.

However, I try to ALWAYS use the terms VERTICAL and HORIZONTAL at the same time, so that my students learn what the real art terms are along with the newer knick names. If a students uses the word "landscape" (meaning format orientation), I ask them, "Do you know the art term for that?"

Lots of things have more than one word for them, which is sometimes an indication of their importance in a particular society. Language evolves all the time. I think its a good idea to accept new words, but not to abandon words.

Mark