RE: Fingerpainting

---------

From: Broadwater, Katherine (KBroadwater_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 08:45:47 PST

Some time ago I designed a method of finger painting using my fingers as "finger brushes." I begin the lesson with a discussion of our five fingers and hand as being tools for creativity. I talk to the children about their "five finger brushes"...1) finger tips 2) knuckles 3) palm 4) side of the hand and 5) thumb. After spreading the paint over the paper I encourage the children to explore and experiment with their "finger brushes" to create as many different textures and marks as possible. Often I will give a theme (pre-historic life, outer space, underwater scenes etc.) to young children that correlates with other things they are studying in school.
Kay