Re: Fingerpainting

---------

From: Jon Hartman (Jon.Hartman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 08:04:37 PST

Now this is coming from a high school teacher......One of the things
that I hate the most is when high school students take a painting class
and the first thing that they want to do is to finger paint. I know
that the feeling of the paint around your fingers is neat, but it sticks
with them and they think it is ok for them to still do it. I have
always wondered is there is another way to do "finger painting" . Is
there a different method that could be done? I know that when I student
taught elementary school I placed small sponges in clothspins. This
worked well. They could control where the paint was going to go. I
just know from experience that this is really hard to get take that
concept out of their mind and get them to focus on painting with
brushes. Maybe I am just crazy......What do others think?

Jonathan Hartman
Dassel-Cokato High School
Art Teacher
(320) 286-4100 ext.1832

>>> jouets@charter.net 12/03/03 09:36AM >>>
I would like to do fingerpainting this week with my kindergartners, 1st
and
2nd grades. Last year I bought these nifty large trays from Nasco with
the
notion that they would make fingerpainting easier. Well, they did
contain
the paint well, but I spent HOURS cleaning them at the end of the day.
(As I
recall, I extended the colors I had with media mixer, and possibly that
made
clean up harder?) That time I used fingerpaint paper on the trays, and
the
students loved the process so much that many of the papers ended up
overworked and shredded. I have used a monoprint method before, and
thought
I'd try that this time - fingerpainting on the tray and then printing
when
they're satisfied with what's on the tray. Considering doing something
or
other with the paper either before or after printed ... one time when
teaching preschool we cut out large mittens, printed them (used their
hands
to make a handprint on the other side, which was kinda cool) and strung
them
together with yarn. Displayed them on the bulletin board with the
yarns
intertwining, which made a fun kind of maze. I'd love to hear other
ideas
for using the resulting paper from fingerpainting, and I need to hear
about
how you do classroom management with fingerpaint.
Thanks!
Deborah

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu