Fingerpainting

---------

From: dkj (jouets_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 07:36:19 PST

I would like to do fingerpainting this week with my kindergartners, 1st and
2nd grades. Last year I bought these nifty large trays from Nasco with the
notion that they would make fingerpainting easier. Well, they did contain
the paint well, but I spent HOURS cleaning them at the end of the day. (As I
recall, I extended the colors I had with media mixer, and possibly that made
clean up harder?) That time I used fingerpaint paper on the trays, and the
students loved the process so much that many of the papers ended up
overworked and shredded. I have used a monoprint method before, and thought
I'd try that this time - fingerpainting on the tray and then printing when
they're satisfied with what's on the tray. Considering doing something or
other with the paper either before or after printed ... one time when
teaching preschool we cut out large mittens, printed them (used their hands
to make a handprint on the other side, which was kinda cool) and strung them
together with yarn. Displayed them on the bulletin board with the yarns
intertwining, which made a fun kind of maze. I'd love to hear other ideas
for using the resulting paper from fingerpainting, and I need to hear about
how you do classroom management with fingerpaint.
Thanks!
Deborah

---