Re: on teaching Painting

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 06:31:55 PST

...should add, that I prep younger students for painting with many drawing
exercises, freeze framing video's on our classroom tv to use of other still
life sources, use a red lumber yard crayon for lightly sketching shapes,
then converting shape's contours with accurate drawing focusing on observed
line families. From there they darken the final contour with a black
sharpie.

I'll have them work with acrylics as well...(using Chromacryl and pumps) and
put just a small amount (size of a dime or smaller) on the lip of the plate.
I teach them then to use the paint like watercolors...stressing use of
water. Kids love to use the paint more direct. In this way though..they
learn the capabilities of the paint to be used like watercolor as well.
Comes in handy later for acrylic glazing techniques.

I also use temperas but with water for the same thing, as a wash or more
like watercolor.

To initiate this move to paint...we began by painting the black lined
drawings with Crayola washable markers...applying less pigment in rhythmic
strokes then using a watercolor brush and clear water to cause controlled
bleeding of the markers. Little filling in of the markers is necessary
because the adding of water and use of brush makes the little pigment extend
and go a long way. This method creates a bridge between drawing (which many
children learn to be comfortable with) and is a good intro to painting.

This method will later come in handy too when as high school kids they want
to make bubble letter posters for the hallways or athletics. Teaches them
to create colorful designs that do not use up all the marker.

Larry Seiler

---