Re: on teaching Painting

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 06:17:45 PST

I have a WIP (work in progress) going on at Wetcanvas.com that will last
the entire nine week quarter that I imagine many would glean something from.
I am doing a painting along with the students as well.

We are using acrylics, but medium aside whatever is used, composition, mass,
shapes, using negative space, color and so forth are shared concerns.

I teach landscape for their first piece because it has much to offer
students in learning, a rich history, is my own personal painting direction
this chapter of my life. In painting a portrait, it either appears as the
individual or not. Not too many people are going to say, "hey...wait a
minute, I know that pine tree and it doesn't look like that!"

Wildlife might be a way to go....because for example a Canadian goose is not
recognized from another one necessarily, but again more specific anatomy.
Many online sites of artists including my own for kids to look at.

On the Wetcanvas wip...I start with my own block in, show students working
and add progress reports, come back to my own progress and dialog with
member artists. You might find it helpful....

Here is the link-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145048

Larry Seiler

My websites-
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org
http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/l/lseiler/

Member of NAPPAP- "National Academy of Professional Plein Air Painters"
http://nappap.org

"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!"
Edgar Degas

---