Fwd: THE STATE

---------

From: Jane Altshuler (Jane_Altshuler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 16:32:29 PST

Hey great thinkers - here's a request from one of my colleagues - an art
and social studies teacher. I wondered if you had any suggestions -
Already suggested are The Life of Pi and The Handmaid's Tale

I am trying to compile a book list that focuses on the "State." In
Junior-Senior Humanities Seminar we begin our studies of the STATE.
Defining the "state" in all its ambiguity is part of our project, but a
loose definition involves the view that humans live together; in families,
tribes, clans, parishes, communities, cities, countries/nations and
ascribe to certain consistent "modes of being and
interacting"--traditions, practices, laws, and behaviors. Each student
will read a book of their choice. My requirement is that the book must
specifically and directly address issues of the "state." In the past I
have assigned readings that were in the realm of utopian studies--The
Giver, Brave New World, 1984, etc., but we are looking to expand our
scope. If you can suggest book-titles that connect with this topic, that
I can pass along to my class, then we will be ever so grateful.

---