Re: on teaching painting

---------

From: Sue Stewart (Sue_Stewart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 07:25:14 PST

I only have them for one semester and they have no skills - I teach
drawing first quarter and then begin painting exactly as Ruth does - minus
the strips - I use watercolor - they make an atmospheric painting also to
teach value and warm and cool colors - all these paintings are very small
and fast. I have a regular classroom with portable sink and tables
(carpeted) my kids use drawing boards to keep paintings and drawings - a
large folded paper portfolio in a drawer. ALL BAGS go against the wall in
a huge pile and are not picked up until two minutes before the bell - that
clears the floor. I set up two or three still lifes - on top of file, on
top of counter - on a small desk and they work on the one closest to them
- but with the boards they can move to another position to draw and paint.
 I also teach printmaking in this difficult room (English in the morning)
but that is another story. Drill the basics and if some are ahead, let
them experiment for extra credit. Good Luck.

Sue E. Stewart
Sumner High School

---