Re: Ceramic help

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 07:16:48 PST

To all who helped:

The "tile" fired without problem because I fired it on end braced between
two already bisqued pots that functioned as a tile setter. Thank you Gelindo!

The piece was 16" x 16" and about 2 1/2" thick (part os a set of 12 that
will be laced together and hung as a wall piece). Excess moisture was not a
problem. I am aware of what water will do. These had been drying for two
weeks, slowly and controlled so no warping would occur. They were warm to
the touch when placed in the kiln nonetheless, in the past, I have had a
problem with pieces that strattle a crack (it may be the clay body too).

The plate, however is about 26" in diameter and fragile. I cannot place it
on end, particularly during the glaze fire. In the future we will try to
place the shelves at the same height touching each other at the divide and
see how that works.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Christa

---