Re: Need firing help ASAP

---------

From: Jon Hartman (Jon.Hartman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 06:39:09 PST

I have found that when drying tiles I place them between sheets of dry
wall. This allows them to dry even and slow. You can also stack many
layers. Do it before christmas break. They should be good when you get
back. I also have students roll slabs out for me at the end of the year
for test tiles for the following year. Place then between the drywall
and let them dry over the summer. Fire them when you get back to
school. It works really well.

Jonathan Hartman
Dassel-Cokato High School
Art Teacher
(320) 286-4100 ext.1832

>>> lindwood@webtv.net 12/01/03 06:23PM >>>
Another key to drying tiles successfully is to keep flipping them over
from day to day. Or dry them on racks that let air get to the bottom.
Even drying is key. Sometimes on the first night of drying (wet) I
put
a small kiln post in the corners of the tiles to keep them from
lifting
up. Keep them covered overnight, the next day, leave the posts on the
corners, but put some holes in the top of the plastic. Next day, add
more holes. Flip them when they are barely leather hard, and keep
flipping them. I made a tile boardgame in college. I pressed
alphabet
soup letters into the clay while damp to write on the tiles. (Yes, I
was OCD on that idea.) I'll never forget how beautiful the mold was
all
over the letters when I uncovered my tiles. We all had a good laugh
and
a gag on that sight. In the end, it didn't cause any harm.

Linda Woods

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---