painting

---------

From: Ruth Wilson (Ruth.Wilson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 04:23:46 PST

i have my kids paint color mixing charts at first
using only the Primary colors and tempera paint
they have to dra w out squares and paint evenly
within them to learn brush control and mixing
i have them mix:
the color wheel
Primaries, Secondaries, Tertiaries
Compliments, split compliments, analogous,
triadics,monochromatic strip
and then i let them pick out 2 color strips from
Home Depot's Paint Dept and match the colors
Then paint from a still life. No drawing in the lines first
just painting the contour edges and then painting in different
values. They can accent their lines, etc later with pastels
for emphasis
another is to paint with watercolors (different skill techniques)
large color swatches using a color scheme
then cutting these up to create small paintings for the covers of cards
i am looking for a beginning level geometric paitning project
any ideas?

Ruth Wilson
Art Teacher
Drawing & Painting, Art Experience