on teaching painting

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 04:04:26 PST

I am trying to figure out a way to adapt our hIgh school program. We are a regional high school and students are coming in with fewer and fewer painting experiences. The skill levels are very low and the ability to develop personally meaningful imagery seems nil. Add three other teachers in the same program area that use clip art or pure copying as primary subject matter and you have me, one discouraged art puppy. Could we start a strand on sequential ways to improve skill level... brush control, color control,surface feel ... and ways to work students towards more self generated imagery...

Oh , add a small room, with full classes, each student carrying a huge gym bag, & few if any safe places to use still life set ups...I would say I have no places... but with a lot of haggling I can set up still lifes. I do not feel students can get very close to them.... which creates other problems.

 I am thinking about over a three year period . Most of our students don't take 4 sequential years.

thank you Randy in cold, snow-less Maine.

---