Making elements meaningful to pre-school

---------

From: Judy Decker (judydeckeriad_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 09:57:23 PST

Marcia marcia73@shaw.ca wrote:

> I am looking for Preschool Activity Ideas to teach
> young children an appreciation for the elements of
> design. Any Ideas? I would also be interested in
> anyone's insight on how to educate parents and
> co-workers on the value of art with young children,
> and the value of learning the elements of design in
> a preschool setting.

> Marcia

Hi Marcia,

I know you and I are on the same wavelength here. I am
posting your question to Getty list and Art Education,
too. I have talked about this with folks - but mainly
off list. I don't have my posts on this machine.
The elements must be made meaninginful to the wee
ones. That will make the job of the elementary art
teacher so much easier. For line, take them on a "line
hunt" - really ham it up. Even get a pithe helmet. For
colors - have them act them out. How they make them
feel, etc - what kind of sounds?. For shapes - have
them hunt for shapes - then move their bodies to form
shapes. Make shapes hats (see Jeryl Hollingsworth's
site for her K hats -
http://www.anderson4.k12.sc.us/schools/les/art.htm).
They will wear their shapes hats all day! Get them
singing fun little songs about line- shape - color
etc.
The more you can involve movement the better. Learning
the language of art is like learning any kind of
language. If they learn it while they are young, they
will never forget it. Read books about the elements
and design an activity. Tammi posted Cat's Colors
(students collected color samples from magazines -
then glued on an orange and black stripe cat).

Folks - post your ideas on how to make the elements
and principles meaningful to pre-school and I will
compile for Early Childhood lesson plan page.

Judy

=====
Judith Decker
Incredible Art Department