kiln drying

---------

From: Kathleen Gordon (kjgordon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 06:45:46 PST

for Jeannie who asked about drying student work in a kiln...
this is a program for the skutt kiln that i use to dry& bisque fire wet
ceramics..i have adapted it from an article I read in Pottery Making
Illustrated that is used for large sculptural ceramics. I work in a
kid's studio where we have about 300 pieces of work a week we have to
fire and get back to the kids so there is a need for fast turn
around....and we don't like to have crying kids so we have to make sure
that all the pieces survive the firing intact. If there are pieces that
are really really too thick we put them on the lid of the firing kiln
to dry or we slow the firing way down by increasing the hours of hold
time a few hours.

ramp/hold
1. 50degrees a hour to 150 hold for 12 hours
2. 150degrees an hour to 1100 hold for 2 hours
3. 40degrees an hour to 1150
4. 500degrees perhour to 1819
5. 108degrees perhour to 1926 for 04 bisque

this firing takes about 24 hours depending on the age of your kiln
elements and the temperature of the room. i hope it works as well for
you as it does for us. i will be happy to answer any questions you
might have....
.Kathleen Gordon
650-328-9164
"if things seem under control you are not going fast enough" mario
andretti
Kathleen Gordon
650-328-9164
"if things seem under control you are not going fast enough" mario
andretti

---