Re: using student examples

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 22:16:50 PST

--- Mark Alexander <markcalexander@yahoo.com> wrote:
> seldom have the opportunity to show student
> examples, because in seven years teaching K-8, I
> very seldom have done the same lesson the same way
> more than once. Keeps things interesting, especially
> for me. I wouldn't feel I was doing a very good job
> teaching if I found it boring, and besides, whose's
> life is it, anyway?

Amen Mark!

I'm glad to hear it. This is my first year teaching
6th grade students and I often find myself faltering
on my principles.

The 5th grade teacher relies heavily an step by step
productions - if I even make a sketch, I immediately
have 5 crummy replicas. I hate to make an example,
because that's what I can do after almost 15 years of
routine practice - they're only 12 and 13!

The teacher that teaches the courses at the school
they go to next has almost 20 years of student
examples stored up. For a minute, I was a little
jealous and wished I had such a resource, but then I
started to notice that they all looked alike.

Thanks for speaking up about doing things differently
each time - I've always done this as a teacher, but in
this new position, I was wondering what I should be
collecting. I think I may have fallen in the prefab
trap or perhaps been buried under the accumlation of
unnecessary things to deal with.

I have seen a textbook set that was accompanied by an
equal # of artworks and student works as
transparencies for discussion. I thought this was a
strange. Didn't find any info on the rationale.

I will admit that I need to find a way to push my
students a little but more, but for the time being -
I'm not willing for it to happen though mimicing
predecessors.

For the Tally -

I always use exemplars - in the Bates tradition of
cultural and historical; high and low, and so on.

I am currently in the process of collecting images for
"morgue files" or general project references. My
students really need such references to break them of
the idea that there only one way to make a sunset and
that everyone's facial features are slightly
different, etc. Sources will be cited.

Also - My students always write to articulate their
purposes in creating work, to explain how something is
meaningful or valuable to them, and to clarify what
they do/don't understand about an artist's work or art
movement or style.

Dawn